Verses of Joy is a collection of Pure Land Buddhist poetry themed around the deliverance of Amitabha and rebirth in his Pure Land, the cosmic Buddha-field of Sukhavati. According to the Infinite Life Sutra, the first scripture in the Pure Land canon, Amitabha’s 18th vow guarantees all beings that invoke his Name sincerely rebirth in his Pure Land after death.
This universal message from the Lord of Infinite Light provides the inspiration for those who have published poems with us, most of whom have penned their verses not out of literary eloquence per se, but from an inner welling of devotion and happiness at encountering the liberating other-power of Amitabha Buddha.
- Master Huijing’s Dharma Words about Benefits in Amitabha-recitation (Master Huijing)
- Who’s Qualified to Teach the Children? (Master Jingzong)
- A Message from Amitabha Buddha to All Sentient Beings (Master Huijing)
- Master Huijing’s Dharma Words about the Purpose of Life (Master Huijing)
- Is Pure Land Buddhism a “Mystic” Tradition? (Raymond Lam)
- No Matter What (Master Huijing)
- Amitabha All Around Me (Massimo Claus)